Good afternoon awesome readers. Are you ready to write? There are some great prompts to choose from today:
- NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY
- NATIONAL POUND CAKE DAY
- NATIONAL HUG A G.I. DAY
- NATIONAL GRAMMAR DAY
- MARDI GRAS/FAT TUESDAY
Here are the rules:
1. Write 100 – 200 words (more or less) about the prompt provided. For example: If you chose National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day your story doesn’t have to be about the day itself but about a peanut butter lover. (It doesn’t have to be a complete story. It could be a scene, song lyrics or a poem)
2. Tag your post with National Weird Day Writing Prompts and link your post back to my blog so others can participate.
3. Share your writing in the comments section via a link back to your blog.
4. Read and comment on other posts.
5. Be creative and have fun.
My story is below.
FAT ON TUESDAY
Alina felt homesick in her new community. “Why don’t you throw a party?” her mother suggested when she and Alina were talking on the phone last week. She hand wrote cards to a few new acquaintances, inviting them to a Fat Tuesday party.
Alina should have had second thoughts when the local bakery said they did not make paczki’s. Instead she busied herself by washing her bone china and ironing hand embroidered tablecloths.
Alina tried to draw attention from the tan-colored walls and stained ceiling in the community center with vases of fresh flowers. As the guests arrived, Alina greeted them with her usual high-pitched squeals and long hugs. Mrs. Katonah tried to dodge her embrace.
Alina arranged the food on the side table and pushed back her long brown hair while anxiously removing lids and tin foil. The bowl Mrs. Katonah brought had suspicious looking contents. Alina shoved it toward the back. The women lined up and filled their plates.
“Mrs. Katonah,” Alina asked. “What did you bring?”
“Just what you asked. Fat on Tuesday.”
The room grew quiet while Alina, face red with embarrassment wondered how to respond.